The Kicker KSC404 KSC40 4″ has a nice kick to it that I usually don’t expect from budget-friendly 4-inch speakers. The sound overall was balanced and dimensional. However, at the sound levels that this thing can produce, the clarity does get sacrificed at the extreme highs.
- Polypropylene woofer cones resistant to moisture and anticipated temperatures
- Thin-mounts that ensure easy fit to most cars
- Surprising power in volume for the price
- Slightly less bass than other Kicker speakers
- Tone can leans towards bright
- Decreased clarity at extreme volumes
The included grilles, thin-mount design, and both 4-hole and 2-hole compatibility made this speaker a nice, easy install for my car. This might be useful for those who have less time on their hands or just don’t feel like taking hours to install a car speaker.
Typically, cars are 4-holes, but allowing the speaker to work with both types means it’s accessible for more cars. Being both affordable and accessible makes it a possible option if you’re in a financial crunch or time crunch. For me, the thin-mount design gave my car a clean appearance compared to clunky speakers that stick out too far.
The black grilles were not my favorite in the design category, but I was happy that they were included. As for the 4″ polypropylene woofer and its aspects, the magnet and the moisture-resistant / temperature resistant woofer cones make me believe that it’s decently durable. In addition to those features, the 4″ polypropylene woofer has a rubber surround.
Most importantly, the sound experience in total was a higher ranking one for me. The power in the volume took me by surprise, especially for the price.
Like I mentioned before, when it’s cranked to its most impressive levels, the clarity does decrease. If you really like to blast your tunes but can’t afford a massive speaker, this could work for you. One of my favorite features was the silk dome tweeters because of the smooth sound they produced that paired nicely with my folk tunes.
Compared to other Kicker speakers, this one has less bass which was disappointing yet expected for the price range. This may have contributed to the brighter sounding tone than what I prefer.
Overall, if you keep the sound from being ridiculously high the experience should be pretty good. For someone who is interested in an affordable speaker but wants a powerful sound and easy installation, this speaker could do the trick.
Features & Specifications
- Max Power Output – 150 (Watts)
- RMS Power Output – 75 (Watts)
- Sensitivity – 88 (1W, 1m)
- Frequency Response – 60 – 20k (Hz)
- Mounting Depth – Top: 1 13/16 (in) Bottom: 2 1/16 (in)
- Design – 2-way
- Woofer Surrounding – Rubber
- Silk Dome Tweeters for a “silky” smooth quality
- Affordable price range
- Thin-Mount design for better fit
- Moisture resistant and temperature resistant polypropylene woofer cones for durability
- Strong 4″ Polypropylene woofer
- Easy installation
- Good volume sensitivity
- Smooth Sound
- Typically Warranty Included
- Grilles Included
- Loud volume capability
Last update on 2023-01-28 / Affiliate links / *Image Disclaimer: We use images/data from Amazon Product Advertising API solely on products that link to Amazon. On products with the "Price at Crutchfield" button, we use images/data from Crutchfield.com as per the partnership deal.